in March 1909 with twenty-three charter members,
First Missionary Baptist Church began her ministry in South
Houston. Two lots were given the church by Western Land
Company, the company that surveyed and laid out the city.
1911, a sanctuary with seating capacity of 300 was built.
New members were baptized in Berry Creek which flows nearby. Sunday
School rooms were partitioned off in the sanctuary,
and the church office was
under the belfry.
The church grew steadily and established
and sponsored three mission churches
(East Haven Baptist, Airway Baptist, and Templo
Bautista). All three missions
eventually incorporated and became self-sufficient
churches. During the years,
at least four members have served
as foreign missionaries and many have
surrendered their lives to the gospel ministry. First Baptist Church is
to have a one hundred eight year legacy of missions and
ministry in the com-
munity of South Houston.The church is also excited about its future. The
has become more involved in working with the city, local police and fire
and local schools in order to minister more effectively to its
community and its surrounding areas